Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Resolutions

The trick, I have found, with new years resolutions, is to think carefully about the couple of months ahead. Consider that it is January; dark and gloomy and fuckin' freezin' - you will not want to eat salad, or go for a run (you will also not want to go outside for a fag. Pro tip; to quit smoking, consistently forget your scarf). Consider that in a mere 6 weeks, the shops will be full of half price valentine's chocolate and the streets full of unimaginative tossers clutching roses and card-shop teddy-bears. This is not the time to diet, or exercise, or cut down on the booze. You do not, under any circumstances, want to be facing reality. At least not until June.
On the other hand, RIGHT NOW is the perfect time to reduce that pile of unread books by your bed (it's taken 3 years, but I have cut mine down to a mere 48 unread books owned), or to finally get around to watching that Burning of the Red Lotus Temple boxset. January is a good time to attempt to break your own longest lie-in record, or to win a Rummikub championship.
This January, I am learning, at last, to knit. Or rather, not to knit - as that's the only bit I can already do. I am learning to purl. To this end, I grabbed the fattest needles I could find and got stuck into this pattern, and am now officially master of the circular needles. 

Unfortunately, my 2am self-portraiture skills remain un-improved (photographing your own neck while disguising the fact that you are wearing pyjamas is extremely difficult), but never mind - if you're anything like me you'll be too busy trying to read what's on my bookshelf to notice the prat in the foreground anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment