Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Why I Love Harry Potter*

* the books, not the character. In fact, I can take or leave Harry himself really.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love these books just for their own sake. I could wax lyrical about the pure joy of delving into summer at the Burrow. I don't mind admitting how I sobbed at Neville & his mum, or that I'm still in denial over Sirius dying.
But what I REALLY love about the Potter books is not the books - it's the culture that grew around them.
They made it ok to be a reader, so I was just a bit less likely to get sweets thrown at the back of my head on the school bus. They meant that for the first time I could talk to people my own age about books; I could make friends with books rather than push people away, because for the first time people were reading the same thing I was.
The Potter books got big just at the right time for them to have the biggest impact on me - during the very short period of my life when I cared about being trendy - and I already had a head start because I'd already read the earlier books. It was the first and only time I have ever been ahead of the curve. When Prisoner of Azkaban came out and the rest of the world started catching up  I was 13; at 13 fitting in matters - everyone is carving out their space in the high school social sphere - and the Potter books threw a little light onto where my place was. Because of that light, people could see me and were less likely to tread on me. And, since it's hard to read in the dark, that light allowed me to keep my nose stuck in a book.
Thanks JK.

2 comments:

  1. I adore this bag and I don't even care how much of a fangirl that makes me. I agree with you regarding Harry, I actually think that Neville is a catch.
    http://fuckyeahneville.tumblr.com/post/973414149/reasons-neville-is-a-bamf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neville is completely the man. No Questions.

      Delete