Saturday, 17 March 2012

Craft-Crack Whore

I've always been one of those sewers who uses an unpicker more than a needle - I'm not naturally neat, but I'm anal as fuck; I'll re-do and re-do until stitches are sized identically & perfectly placed. This has been inhibiting my speed of output, yet I don't necessarily think it has a massive impact on the quality of my pieces. So... I have decided to do some exercises to combat my OCDing. (push-ups will not be included)
 
These little pillow patches have been made without any preliminary sketching, or even drawing out of the design on the cloth. I did not take any measurements, use a ruler or set square, and I did not have a final use in mind for most of them once complete. Most importantly, unpickers were forbidden, and I gave myself a time limit to make sure I sew'ed at a decent speed. (Notice how, in an attempt to be more spontaneous and to sew more naturally, I created a set of rules to follow. This speaks volumes).
I'm quite pleased with how they came out - especially the xkcd ones. The edges are wonkier that willy, not a single stitch is in the right place or of the right size, but I had loads of fun making them. 

Most of them are for other people, so the colour choices and motifs are not necessarily what I would want myself. To be honest, I don't really get the current trends for crafted icons. Owls are nice enough birds I'm sure, and moustaches are amusing when tattooed on fingers, I just don't understand why they are everywhere at the minute. More shockingly, I have to confess that I have never seen a single episode of Dr Who. This stems from yet another OCD of mine - I cannot watch a TV programme out of order - so to watch Dr Who I would have to go back to 1963 and work my way forward through all 32 series just to get up to date. Who has time for that?*
The pillows are really tactile - squidging them and seeing how the stuffing density changes as you sew makes them rather addictive to make. They are the crack of the craft world, and I am going to be a dealer coz I think I'll look good in the big sunglasses. With that in mind, I'm off to learn some street slang - wonder if they do classes at the community collage?
innit, bitch
Noods

*I'm secretly really impressed with myself for the plethora** of puns in that sentence. 
**Ok, ok. Not a plethora. But there are at least 2.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah Turley / @Bookguide_nlTuesday, March 27, 2012 10:39:00 pm

    I am officially horrified that you haven't watched Doctor Who! But I give you permission to only watch it from when it restarted with Christopher Eccleston because that's when it really started to be good. You can sew and watch Doctor Who at the same time, you know.

    I love the colours on the blocky ones, and the birdy one in the middle picture. And the owl, and the Tardis, of course, and the "this patch is bigger on the inside" is genius; great typography there, too.

    ReplyDelete