Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Excuse Me While I Squee A Little

I've been made a featured project on Craftster
Well, not me, but a thing I made. I'm hugely excited, there are so many uber-talented folk at Craftster so to be picked out is a real honour.
My project is the Hands Around Your Heart cushion, a kind of family portrait I made for lil' sister's 18th last month. I'm not really convinced that it's worthy to be considered next to some of the other featured projects (Check out the Wizard of Oz yarn, and the Gizmo hoop. And the Beetlejuice costumes. And the Snow White Dress...), but I'm thrilled to be there anyway.
Today; featured project, next week; the world...

The project was a gift for Charlotte's 18th; I was really struggling to think what to make her as she only really appreciates gifts purchased from Tiffany's or bearing an Abercrombie & Fitch label, but I knew I wanted to craft something... And let's face it, crafted presents are much more about the desire to craft that the recipients desire to receive another set of embroidered lavender bags. Anyway,  I was thrilled when I came across the concept of embroidering handprints, I mooched over the idea, did some sketches and decided to make this cushion, with all of our families' hands around a heart.

I wanted to include all the immediate family, and there are a lot of us - 4 generations (Nan, Dad, Mum, 2 brothers, 2 sister-in-laws, me & my partner, niece and nephew) plus a cat (who ended up on the back), and trying to fit everyone on without it looking squished is basically where the design came from. I live far away from all the rest (at a carefully calculated 'not to far in an emergency, way too far for unexpected visits' distance), so I got them to draw around their hands on paper and post them to me for me to use as templates. Of course I couldn't ask my sister without giving the game away, so that is where the 'around your heart' idea came from

There's 6 weeks worth of chain, back, and running stitch, plus my first ever hand-sewn buttonholes, a smidge of reverse appliqué and a sprinkling of french knots on that thing (apparently, I sew slooooow, but I was being really picky about even stitch length and tiny turning, which isn't easy when you're not working on even weave! I think I used my unpicker more than my needle)

The inscription on the inside is a bastardised lyric from the musical Wicked, in a desperate attempt to demonstrate how deep and meaningful I am, and what fantastic taste in music I have.
I'm gonna go listen to some Alice In Chains while I pretend that I'm cool, ok?
Noods x

No comments:

Post a Comment