Wednesday, 26 October 2011

N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

Do I believe in Aliens?
I know my answer should be that there's not enough evidence to make any kind of informed answer.

But fuck that.
Yes, yes I do. I believe that there is life somewhere else out there - given the number of planets around the number of stars in all the galaxies of our universe (I won't start thinking about other universes just yet. I need a good supply of Hobnobs (Milk Chocolate) to hand when I think multi-universal, and the shop is closed), odds are on that we are not alone. I even reckon some of that life is intelligent - given what an evolutionary advantage intelligence is, it's likely to have cropped up elsewhere.

What I don't believe is that the aliens look like the ones in X-Files. Or that they enjoy broadening the sexual horizons of red-necks. Or that they are/have been broadcasting on the tiny handful of wavelengths we've been watching for the fraction of a second (relatively - in terms of age of universe) we have been listening.

So... contribute to Seti@home - just a couple of hours a week while you're not using your computer. If we find the aliens, maybe we can help this little one get home. Her (Her? Dunno, just a vibe I got) ship crash landed in a tree. I couldn't work out how to communicate...  English failed me - even when I spoke really loudly and slowly with big gestures (shock!!). I could hear Rammstein coming from the tape deck in the ship, but my German is negligible at best - she didn't respond to 'sprechen sie Englisch?' or 'ziehe meine kanone!*'. So I'm kinda stuck. But she looks lost, and I'm sure she'd love it if we could tune into her local radio station for her...
Go on, you know you want to find the ETs just as much as I do, so join in looking for them, 'cause, dude, how awesome would it be to hear the music they make in MuArae?
Noods

* 50% of my knowledge of the German language is lines from WarGoose... this did not go down well when I was in Berlin.

1 comment: