Friday, 16 July 2010

Cake or Death?

Marmalade Tealoaf
I've made this one a few times, and it tends to be pretty well received.
This one was taken into work for consumption by us greedy sparkies - who didn't mind at all that it was really crumbly (you can't slice it thinly? I guess I'll have to have a massive slab of it then... terrible) which was, I think, because the nuts weren't chopped finely enough.
Top tip - use chunky cut marmalade (or in this case homemade, which is even better)
Anywho... Mix 2/3rds of a jar (normal size 454g jar) of marmalade, 175g butter, 175g brown sugar (a dark sticky one is best, like Muscovado), 3 eggs, 225g self raising flour, teaspoon baking powder, 2+1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. Once that lot's all folded in together, whack in a handful each of chopped walnuts & pecans. 
Resist the temptation to eat the cake mix.
Stick the lot in a loaf tin and bake on gas mark 4 for 50mins, then cover with foil and continue to bake for another half hour or so, til it looks rite tasty.
Once it's cooled a little, melt the remaining 1/3rd of your jar of marmalade (in a bowl in the microwave is easiest, but do it on the hob if people are watching as it looks more impressive) and use that to glaze the top.
Eat sliced with a bit of butter, and a cup of tea.
Anzac Biccies
Made (Following this recipe) as a thankyou present for The Boy's mum (from Curdle - she keeps giving us cat food). A bit risky as I'd never made them before. I choose them because they were originally created for the Aussie/Kiwi Army, so I figured they're pretty hardwearing... and Mrs.Wolf doesn't eat alot so she needs a biscuit with staying power.
I think they came out OK - though I would chuck in a smidgen more coconut (or maybe a drop of vanilla extract?) and I'd use something tastier that Golden syrup - maybe a nice dark, rich honey instead. Oh, and chunkier oats. Again, eat with a cup of tea.
I'm off to brew up, got some serious munching to do... Toodle
Noodle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment